Geothermal Energy in Kenya has a potential of up 10,000 MW distributed across twenty (20+) prospect areas mainly within the Kenya tertiary rift system as shown in the map below. This department in the ministry is involved in geothermal exploration and development activities as follows:
- Develop a Strategy for fast tracking geothermal exploration and development in Kenya.
- Geothermal exploration in the country which includes Geological, Geophysical and Geochemical surveys to establish and rank geothermal prospects.
- Monitor, Supervise, Support and Report on Geothermal Development in Kenya by Independent Power Producers (IPPs) and government agencies.
- Develop the Policy on Licensing of Geothermal Greenfields.
- Negotiation for and issuance of geothermal exploration and production licences.
Geothermal Sites Location Map of Kenya