The Ministry through the Department will support the Development of Lamu 1,050MW and Kitui (Mui) 960MW Coal Fired Power Plants. The department will also conduct exploration activities in Mwingi, Kwale and Kilifi counties.
The work will entail the following:
• Update the Project Implementation Roadmaps.
• Implement the Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) for the 1,050 MW Lamu Coal Plant.
• Facilitate the work of Steering, Technical and Community Committees.
• Conduct Geo-technical studies for Kitui (Mui) Power Plant, Mui Basin map is shown in the map below.
• Give support by collaboration with other agencies for permits, licenses and other approvals for the power plants’ developers from the National Government, Governmental authorities and the Kitui and Lamu County Governments.
• Carry out semi-feasibility Coal and Coal Bed Methane (CBM) Studies in the Karoo System which is a geological belt spanning through Kwale, Kilifi, Taita Taveta and Kitui Counties for the purpose of establishing the possible occurrence of commercial Coal and CBM deposits.
• Develop a Strategy to guide coal exploration and development in Kenya.
• Develop a Strategy for fast tracking nuclear resources exploration and development in Kenya and conduct preliminary studies to identify areas with potential nuclear resources in the country.
Map of Mui Basin and its periphery showing field sites and drilled wells